Polk State College Foundation, in tandem with The Public Education Partnership of Winter Haven, Inc. (PEP), is seeking an energetic, motivated, and community-service oriented high school junior/senior or college student to volunteer in the after-school Healthy Eating Program at the PEP Education Center, 203 Avenue R, NE. In addition to service hours and the autonomy to build, shape, and expand PEP’s phenomenal Healthy Eating Program, the chosen student will receive a $10,000 college scholarship after successfully completing a school year of service. Hours are Mondays – Thursdays from 2:30 – 5:30 PM when school and the PEP Education Center are in session and are flexible for training, shopping, planning, fundraising, gardening, etc. The application process will end at 6 PM on Friday, July 9th, 2021.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning and preparing healthy snacks for under-served students Monday-Thursday (~2:30-5:30 PM) at the PEP Education Center.
- Engaging students in discussions about healthy eating habits.
- Exposing students to a variety of healthy snack options.
- Developing positive interactions with students.
- Working collaboratively with Center staff and volunteers.
- Working collaboratively with PEP board and volunteers to raise funds for food and supplies.
Job requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to relate to elementary school-age children.
- Knowledge of nutritional benefits of healthy eating.
- Must have reliable transportation and communication methods.
- Ability to shop for supplies.
- Ability to tend to a garden.
Priority will be given to students interested in the fields of teaching, nutrition, health, and wellness, but any student with the desire and ability to excel in this position and that has a passion for healthy eating, children, and blazing a trail that will affect true life-changing reform should apply.
Interested students should email their resume or a short bio including name, school, age, grade, contact information, pertinent experience, and a paragraph explaining why they would like to be PEP’s Healthy Eating Program Intern to firstname.lastname@example.org. If selected, you will be contacted to schedule an interview during the week of July 12th.