Mentor Opportunities High School Seniors – Connect with seniors at our local high schools to serve as a role model (both socially and professionally), help encourage them in and out of the classroom, and help them to talk through college and career opportunities.Elementary e-learners at our Turnaround Schools – Encourage student growth academically and socially by being a listening ear, cheerleader, role model and student advocate.
**To maintain safety for mentors and mentees, mentorships can be completed via Zoom or in-person, following COVID-safe protocols.
- Establish a positive, personal relationship
- Help the mentee establish career skills
- Help the mentee access resources
- Increase your mentee’s ability to interact with different people, groups and settings
- Increase knowledge of the relationship between school and work
- Establish a professional relationship with a successful working adult
- Develop an awareness of business and career opportunities
- Improve self-esteem
Commitment of a Mentor
- One hour a month, either in person (COVID safe) or via Zoom.
- Communicate to mentee via email or phone conversations at least twice a month.
- Share What You Know- It doesn’t take special skills-just a willingness to listen, offer encouragement, and share what you’ve learned about life.
- Confidentially communicate with PEP staff regarding any concerns.
Register to Mentor
Mentors must complete both the PEP Mentor Application and the Polk County School Board’s Volunteer Application (plus a $25 fee to PCSB). If you are already an approved PSCB volunteer, you do not need to re-apply, but still must complete the PEP Mentor Application.
Wondering if your volunteer status is current? Email us for confirmation.
Once both applications are completed, we will reach out with next steps and connect you with a mentee.